Saturday, October 1, 2011

Blog Post #2: Inspiration

I am inspired by many things i see through books, pictures, the internet, and my travels.

I am inspired by Greek and Roman pottery. I have traveled to these places with my wife and enjoyed learning and seeing the history, and how pottery was part of it. Using clay to form a container to carry something, a simple concept with great value. Try to carry water with you hands, then try and carry it with a cup. I think this i a big part of why i am a functional potter.

I do admire decorative pots and pottery. I am a commercial salmon fisherman by profession so i tend to incorporate fishing in my pottery. My experiences out on the sea have relay played and influence on what i carve into my pots. I enjoy carving vessels and boats in to my pots as well as other sea life.

 


Last quarter i started to carve other things besides fishing. I tried to carve the canals of Venice (hard to get  the depth and perception) as well as a vase with my favorites of Europe. My wife and i have travel to Europe a couple of times and i would like to use those trips to inspire different carvings into my pots.

1 comment:

  1. Jo, I was looking at your site last week and was impressed with your collection, shown at one time on this post. Rachel informed me my comments didn't connect so I'll try to recreate my message; Looking at your pieces in a group helps me see and understand what you are doing. Seeing them individually in the shop, I didn't see your theme and the overall direction of your work, but now it makes a lot more sense and I can see how individual pieces fit. I like your site and your work looks good in the pictures,, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete